Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hello again, Invisible Children.

I don't particularly care how you want to interpret that title. Completely open to whatever emphases or anything you want to put into that ;P Anyways, sorry for not writing in so long. I thought I wouldn't have a very busy week last week, and it ended up being quite busy, although some of that was my own doing. Some of that business I will probably discuss later, but for now I'm in the mood to do a post on the Invisible Children, another of my favorite charity organizations. My college is showing the newest documentary from IC on Tuesday night and I'm super pumped to see it :D


Invisible Children was founded in 2003 when a group of people went to Africa in search of a story to tell. When they found the atrocities there (which I did mention before in my post about Falling Whistles) they realized they had to do something about it; and they decided to use the skills they already possessed to do so.  Their first film "The Rough Cut" began to get the word out about the plight of these child soldiers, who receive no new coverage ordinarily. They are slain, raped, tortured every day for and by Joseph Kony and his cronies and it needs to be put to an end. If we raise enough awareness and passion in the world, we can pass resolutions to help those suffering and hinder Kony.


Already progress has been made in such matters, but we still have a long way to go. The Invisible Children's blog (http://blog.invisiblechildren.com/) is both interesting and comprehensive in that it both depicts relevant and/or interesting pop culture news, but it also details IC's journey through Washington D.C. and such.

This is another charity that I love but have not yet been able to support. I very much hope to do so in the future- they have some fantastic merchandise! Purchasing many of their products not only directly helps the destitute in Africa, but it can also help anyone to spread IC's word better!



They have a number of documentaries detailing the lives of the children affected by the war in the Congo. Sharing these documentaries is another fantastic way of spreading the word. I have seen the documentary for Innocent, whose tragic life may soon be filled with hope and great prospects thanks to Invisible Children. The new one that I am looking forward to seeing on Tuesday is called Tony.

Thank you for reading, and please learn more about The Invisible Children at http://www.invisiblechildren.com/


Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. UPJ showed one of their documentaries for our freshmen class last year. It really is heart-breaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh neat. It really is, that's why I want to help so much!! :/

    ReplyDelete