Thursday, January 13, 2011

TOMS Shoes :D

As I said last night, I was going to think of things to post about and make the posts more fun and interesting. In saying so, I had forgotten one of the main reasons I started this blog to begin with: to spread the word about my favorite charities! So, here's my first post along those lines, starting with TOMS, my first charity love :D
<3 :D (sorry for the poor quality :P)

TOMS Shoes was founded in 2006 after Blake Mycoskie traveled to Argentina and discovered how many children do not have proper footwear, if any at all. He realized that if there are so many children without shoes in a "developed" country, how many millions in developing countries also do not have shoes? He also realized how critical it is to own shoes, since many diseases like hookworm enter the body through the feet (which can cause stunted growth and health problems for the rest of a person's life). Also, schools include shoes in their dress codes, and so children who cannot afford or find shoes cannot go to school. The video below is from the first-ever shoe drop in 2006.



Blake started TOMS (Shoes for TOMorrow) based on the principle of "One for One" giving. For every pair of shoes you buy, TOMS gives a pair to a child in need. I guess they're not really a charity, because they really are a business with paid employees. But I love them because they turn consumerism on its head, and they make it charitable. Plus, their shoes are freaking comfy :D


I discovered TOMS in early summer of 2009, and I have since accumulated 6 pairs of shoes, a necklace, and a shirt, thereby donating 8 pairs of shoes to children in need. You can read more about TOMS here at their website: http://www.toms.com/movement-one-for-one. They have excellent customer service, and did I mention the shoes are super comfy??

Another awesome thing TOMS does, to raise awareness for their cause, is hold an annual "Day Without Shoes," which has grown every year. Last year, several hundred thousand people spent April 8th barefoot, myself included. It really opened my eyes to the kind of suffering that people go through when they don't have shoes. You literally have to pay attention to your every step, or else suffer the consequences. The next one is April 4th (I'm pretty sure) and I'm super excited to do it again!! :D


TOMS is also the inspiration for another charity (which is an actual charity), which I'll probably talk about next.

Below is a poem about TOMS and also the importance of water. TOMS's official Youtube account is: http://www.youtube.com/user/tomsshoes, and they have really cute videos on there too (the poem is fan- made).


Thank you for reading, and please do what you can to help support this awesome company and the need for shoes!! :D

4 comments:

  1. Maybe next Christmas I'll ask for a pair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please!! :D You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely eying up the Botas but the brown ones are sold out in my size! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha sorry I didn't see this before, but that's a shame they're sold out! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they're seasonal so they might just be selling them to get rid of them now :( But keep checking; they often seem to find more randomly haha :)

    ReplyDelete