Sunday, January 30, 2011

Birthdays and Time

Birthdays can be a time of great contemplation and soul-searching. It's not my birthday (mine's in August), but my little sister's is this weekend and I was very happy to be home to be a part of it. It's amazing how fast the years go by. She's 4 1/2 years younger than me, and while I think it's often a point of contention between us, we've been getting along better and better with time.

Her family party was this afternoon. Now that I'm too old for a family gathering for my birthday, my sister's is the only time that most or all of our more extended family (just grandparents and aunts and uncles) are at our house. It's always nice to see everyone, even if we did just see them a month ago for Christmas. Which, by the way, I can't believe was a month ago already :P

So, that explains my lack of posting yesterday or earlier today, but why didn't I post later in the work-week as promised? I ended up actually trying to get some rest on Tuesday evening and only do a little bit of homework, which ended up causing me to get behind in my work for the entire rest of the week. I literally only caught up with everything for my classes on Friday morning. I MUST stay on top of my homework! This is getting ridiculous! I guess it's just so hard for me because this semester I have that night class on Wednesdays, plus I have a LOT more reading to do for my classes this semester than any other. And I know I'm only going to get more reading in the future; which is both a blessing and a curse.


I really do love to read, and I realize that it's an essential part of my major, but why is it so very time-consuming?! It's the one thing that I literally can't speed up working on. I can "scan" the assignment, but that does not deliver the same level of comprehension as actual reading.

I'm probably going to have to start cutting out some hobbies... like watching Youtube videos. They're my weakness I suppose. I subscribe to many "Youtubers" who post regular videos, many of which are 10+ minutes long, on average. But they've become my television. And they really do lighten my days; I've noticed I tend to be much more easily frustrated when I don't watch any videos as I eat breakfast in the morning. I'll just have to figure out a way to limit them, I guess :P


And that leads right back to time. It's funny how that happens (...a lot... to me :P haha). Time is the one resource that we cannot replace. Regardless of how fast as you brush your teeth in the morning, how much botox you have injected into your face, or how much you've grown in the past year, time is immovable and consistent ... unless you want to get into Einstein's theories and quantum mechanics, or whatever. I could barely handle basic physics junior year of high school lol xD But at least here and now, on Earth, third rock from the Sun in the Solar System of the Milky Way Galaxy, time cannot be influenced by our desires. In fact, it seems to defy them by slapping us in the face with the exact opposite of what we want time to do. "Time flies when you having fun" is so very true, and I KNOW you've experienced the feeling where you look at your watch during class, and then you look again at least 10 minutes later, but it was really only two. Yup, time is weird. And I've made too many concessions to it now writing this long post....

I'll leave you with a pretty freaking amazing video my roommate showed me xD


Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Lolz awe Elyse xD time does fly! Hope you can find a way to limit and self-discipline yourself like I have to! (struggling hardcore with the thing called the internet...aka right now) hahah but good luck!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha thanks Cindy! I hope I don't have to delete FB though, since I hardly go on it anyways haha. Good luck to you too!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete