Friday, March 11, 2011

Wowza!

What a week this has been! I'm exhausted, but happy :) I got all my (massive piles) of homework turned in on time, AND I am now the Vice President of the History Club at my college! :D


I originally was running for the 2 open positions of Treasurer (which opened first) and V.P, but I found out a few days ago that no one else ran for V.P., so what's the point in still running for Treasurer?! I hope I'm not too busy with this new responsibility, but I'm looking forward to the challenge anyways ;) Thank God for coffee!!!

Apparently this sort of thing is a big deal; Google Image search "coffee art."
Aaaand as promised, I have not forgotten about Tony!! So...


Tony is a young man from Uganda, whom the founders of Invisible Children met on their very first visit to Africa. This trip was when their eyes were opened to the strife occurring in Uganda due to Joseph Kony and his horrible war. The three Americans met Tony because he and his friends commuted each night to a small, often flooded building near where the visitors were staying. Tony and his friends went to that shelter each night for safety as they did their homework and slept.

Each time the men returned to Uganda to view the progress of the war and ensure that their improvements through The Invisible Children were being carried out, they always found Tony again. When Tony finished school, the founders asked him to tour the United States, speaking in front of crowds just like the one I sat in, sharing his story from his unique first-hand perspective. Tony was an orphan since his father died, and his mother struggled to support him, despite suffering from AIDS. He had seen many of his friends abducted, and his village was basically a wasteland due to Kony's army.


I don't remember too much more about the documentary (sorry), but after it ended, an Invisible Children volunteer (roadie as they were called, the ones who toured the country) and a young woman from Uganda took the stage. I feel terrible that I have forgotten the Ugandan woman's name, she who had narrowly escaped torture or death when Kony's army passed through while she and some friends walked home from school. She was forced to lie on the side of the road for an entire night to escape capture. She narrowly escaped the next day. She was so courageous, not only to live through such horrors, but to have to re-live them nearly every day. I was deeply moved.


One way that I have pledged to help the Invisible Children is to stay silent on April 25th, for 25 hours, to represent the 25 years of Joseph Kony's horrid war. His forces have moved out of Uganda recently, but he and his child soldiers are ravaging the Democratic Republic of the Congo as you read this. This has to end. Join the 25 movement at http://www.invisiblechildren.com/25 and speak out without speaking.

Thank you for reading! Peace and God's blessings, until next time (and beyond :] )

5 comments:

  1. Congrats again and I didn't know about the not speaking thing on the 25th! I feel bad too because when they came to my school last yr. no one paid attention :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again, Elyse :) And I've a HUGE FAN of coffee art for the past few years lol. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! :D Oh, it's ok Cindy. I'm not even entirely sure if I'll do the 25 thing since it's the day after Easter. I was looking forward to doing it at school, but I'll just be at home lol.

    Haha that's really cool Stew! I knew some people did stuff like that but I was really surprised by how many pictures there were of the art, and it's all beautiful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's.....I want to eat it art!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha yeah! ..or rather drink it!! ;D

    ReplyDelete